This project will widen Elk Grove-Florin Road from two lanes to four lanes and replace the existing bridge at Elder Creek with a new bridge to accommodate future widening. Some preliminary work may occur prior to the start of construction, such as installation of Project Information Signs. Access will be maintained to all residences and businesses during construction. Pedestrian and bicycle mobility will also be maintained.
Additional improvements include:
- Widen Elk Grove-Florin Road to accommodate two lanes in each direction with Class II bike lanes and a landscaped raised median.
- Modifications to the signal at the intersection of Elk Grove-Florin Road and Florin Road and the addition of signal interconnect from Gerber Road to Florin Road along Elk Grove-Florin Road.
- Replace the existing bridge at Elder Creek with a new 109.5-foot wide bridge; realign and widen the Elder Creek channel in the vicinity of the bridge.
- Install a new Sacramento County Water Agency (SCWA) potable water main.
- 12-foot wide landscaped median
- Paved shoulders to accommodate bicycle and pedestrian traffic
- Upgraded traffic signal at Elk Grove-Florin Rd and Florin Rd
- Preliminary Engineering: 2014 to 2015.
- Design: 2016 to 2017.
- Right-of-Way Acquisition: 2017 to 2019.
- Construction Start: August 2020
- Expected Completion: June 2022
- Project Completion through May 4, 2022 - 95%
*NOTE: Due to the construction no permitted loads are allowed on Elk Grove Florin Road between Gerber and Florin until further notice.
Center lane paving
Storm drain installation
Irrigation pipe installation
Water main construction on Florin Rd
Concete abutment work
Storm Drain Crossing Installation
Shoo Fly Paving
The estimated total project cost for the bridge and roadway widening is $11.9 million. The bridge replacement is primarily funded by the federal Highway Bridge Program (HBP). The road widening portion of the project is funded by the Vineyard Fee Program Roadway Fund, the Florin Vineyard Community Plan Fee Program Roadway and Frontage Lane Fund, and the North Vineyard Station Specific Plan Fee Program Roadway Fund.
Melissa Wright, Senior Civil Engineer
Keith Gotwalt, Associate Civil Engineer