The use of Sacramento County roadways for other than normal transportation purposes may require written authorization from the Department of Transportation (SACDOT). As the responsible Department for protecting the public’s investment in the unincorporated area roadway system, SACDOT reviews all requests from utility companies, developers, volunteers, non-profit organizations, and individuals that need to conduct various activities in the right-of-way. Such activities could include: construction of roadway improvements, driveway installation and maintenance, landscaping, tree trimming or removal, commercial filming and special events such as parades.

The links to the right provide additional information concerning various roadway related permits.

Additional Information

Call 311 or 875-4311 or send an email to